Saturday, March 29, 2008

"Dodge Ball for Dollars" at RHS! -- Olivia Boker's culminating project

[See comment]

link to my opinion story on this event

An incredible event happened at Redmond High School last night, all because of Senior Olivia Boker's entrepreneurial and caring spirit. Some called the event "Dodge Ball for Dollars". Olivia Boker's (photo above) purpose was to excel in her Senior year "culminating project". Her goal was raising money for "The Invisible Children" of northern Uganda and entertain! She had a little help from lots of volunteers. Advisor Erica Gililand, her parents, Natalie and untold passionate others pitched in.


Olivia's Dodge Ball tournament was a gigantic success. I think we may be seeing more of this crazy sport at RHS for years to come. Watching players get nailed reminded us of the days we called it "War". I loved this game!!

Mr. Mayor Marchione attended with two city teams -fire & police- to throw in the opening ball at Oliva's volunteers (below). Unfortunately, he couldn't be around to watch his Fire Team take the trophy from a team of H.S. boy athletes. With two resounding, simultaneous "zingers" at the bell our city department put out the fire!
The colorful Teacher Team was awesome on all counts. If it were me, I'd have voted them "Best dressed". "The Clean Up Crew" -- young boys dressed in garbage bags and duct taped hats won. About a dozen teams played and the bleachers will filled. But, it's Coach Greg's Mustang Girls Ballistics team that got the most photo exposure. Yes, my daughter, #21, is on the team!

I'm not sure how much Olivia Boker's fundraising team earned for the abducted 20,000 Ugandan boys and girls, but it was significant. If you want to make a contribution contact Ms. Gililand in room E206 at RHS or click http://www.invisiblechildren.com/.

A short video clip of Dodge Ball follows, but first some parting facts about the Invisible Children of Uganda:
  • Since 1986 20,000 boys and girls were abducted as child soldiers in General Kony's Lords Army Resistance (LAR) militia.
  • More than 90% of LRA troops are children.
  • 250,000 children in Northern Uganda receive no education.
  • 60% of the schools don't function.
  • Only one teacher for every 300 students!!!
  • and on..... do you want to make a donation? (click on the link)

2 comments:

  1. This was a great event--organized, professional, and well attended. Congrats to Olivia and RHS on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you so much for writing this wonderful piece! I have to say, being a part of this club has been one of the most fulfilling experiences of my educational career. Beyond the pride I have in Ms. Boker and the Club, I am tremedously proud of the community support and involvement! I do believe this is why I got into education and I do believe this is what students should be using their education for -- the BIG IDEA. Anyway, thank-you for the great piece - I plan to visit your site regularly! I also plan to pass the site along for those who were unable to attend!

    EG
    Redmond High School teacher

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED