Thursday, February 15, 2018

Updated: LW School District hit hard by higher State property taxes



Results:  Proposition #1-- Replacement Education and Operations Levy       YES by 65% of vote
Results:  Proposition #2-- Replacement of Existing Capital Projects Levy      YES by 55% of vote
Results:  $299M Bond --- 54% Yes; 46% No;  60% supermajority required             NO by 6%

My King County state property taxes increased 18% this year.  My Education Hill home is 2020 sf.

FACTOIDS:
EvergreenHealth is a public hospital district:  Their tax represents 3.3% of total King County property taxes or $200.42/ year.  

ST-3 is a Transit tax.  Their tax represents 2.3% of King County property taxes or $140/year.

B. Yoder

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bob,
    I read your editorial piece and appreciate your effort in deciphering the tax propositions. There is a common phrase I hear in this area when budget tightening is an issue and it's something you said: "Though I may be wrong, I figure if my wife and I have one less latte per day our state tax increase will be paid."

    I don't understand why it's often assumed that everyone lives like that here: daily lattes, frequent dining out, wine-tastings, designer clothing, brand-new cars every few years, etc. Aren't there other people here like my family who are funding their children's education and extra-curricular activities (music/sports), donating money to church/charity, paying for auto fuel/registration/insurance, putting nutritious food on our tables and paying for housing expenses? So while my family is very blessed, our money isn't going to a bunch of frivolous things. Which means when expenses increase (like taxes, insurance, utilities, gas, etc.) it has to come through reducing those things I just mentioned. Should I cut my children's educational needs, music lessons? Should I reduce the amount I am giving to church and charitable organizations that depend on my donations? Should I further reduce my grocery bill?

    Yes, we live in an affluent area and there are many people who spend their money on daily lattes and weekly wine tastings. I'm not one of them.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED