Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Say YES! for student alcohol counseling!

The story below of  Robert's experience with alcohol was commonplace when I went to high school in New York (40 years ago) and is common today on Education Hill.  I was a jock and it was almost expected we drink, drive and party hardy. Same is the case at Redmond High School and other Lake Washington schools. I'm thankful to be sober and alive today. Tell your friends about Youth Eastside Services. (YES)  They can help!    -- Bob Yoder



Letter from Youth Eastside Services
Dear Bob,
"Looking back on it now, I'm one of the lucky ones," says Robert. "I easily could have died from an accidental overdose."
Last August, 17 year old Robert decided to throw a party while his parents were out of town. When he blacked out and fell to the ground around 1:00 a.m., most of his friends were high or drunk.
"I had alcohol poisoning and was severely dehydrated because I hadn't drunk any water in the last 48 hours. At first my friends thought it was funny. Then they didn't want to risk getting into trouble by driving me to the hospital. I guess someone at the party called 911 and after a painful and scary night in the emergency room, I was okay."
The incident was a wake-up call for Robert and his parents. Through counseling and the YES sober support group, Robert was able to address his problem and regain his parent's trust.
"Drugs and alcohol can be so easy to get if you are motivated and believe me, I was motivated. Thanks to YES, no way will I ever spend a night like that again."
Thank you for making sure kids like Robert don't become just another statistic.
Best wishes in the New Year,
Patti Skelton-McGougan
Executive Director, Youth Eastside Services (YES)

photo from Google Images.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED