Saturday, August 1, 2009

New Street Stormwater Drain Markers Warn Against Dumping.

NEW CURB MARKER? DO WE WANT THESE ON OUR CURBS?

Opinion: Have you seen these environmental "curb markers" next to your street storm drains? I found them on three street drains on NE 100th Street. The City may be doing a test market or complete citywide campaign to improve warning signage. I don't know which, but I like what they are doing so far. Would you like these?

When I first moved here, I had no idea that street drains dumped their stuff into Bear Creek and the Sammamish River! I thought it all went into the sewer. Some of the more common bad stuff is: non degradable car wash soaps, lawn fertilizer, insecticides, weed killers, and even gas and engine oils and paint. The curb markers are a good reminders to keep these nasty chemicals away from street drains.

I think the best "no dumping" public announcement the City has done (besides these markers) is the hilarious advertisement they show on RCTV - Channel 21. They show a guy washing his car with soapy water and then superimpose the image over a rushing stream. The idea being: washing your car in your driveway is synonymous to washing it in stream. The City then recommended going to a car wash instead of washing at home, because it's less polluting and uses less water. I almost felt guilty, but then made sure I was washing with non-phosphate soaps all the time. I'm sure the 8 car wash businesses in Redmond like the TV promotion.

The Curb Markers are made by a company in the USA. (800-549-6024). The company posts success stories on how their markers are installed by students for educational and scientific gain. I wonder if a Redmond teacher or PTSA Board would pick up on this?

The Curb Markers come with a FROG or FISH design. Do you have any preference? It took me a while but I decided I like the frog 'cause they used to live in street drains when I was a kid.

Curb Marker website: http://www.dasmanufacturing.com/stories.html

Redmond Car Washes: http://local.yahoo.com/WA/Redmond/Automotive/Car+Washes

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED