Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Food, restaurants and East Indians at "Redmond Lights Festival"

Redmond Lights Festival, Chain Restaurants and Indians
--Compliments of Grant Yuan's Chef Seattle Blog. Grant is a Redmond, WA. resident.
-- Posted by: Grant Yuan @ 12/10: 8:05 pm on Grant's Seattle restaurant, food, and chef blog.


Last night, I headed out to the Redmond Lights festival, which is a walk along the Burke Gilman/Sammamish River that ends up at the Redmond Town Center. I’ve been a little leery of RTC lately because of some political issues lately, but they’ve seemed to be getting better according to a popular Redmond blog that I keep up with. Anyhow, the festival was fun, with the sparkling of blinking red lights that everyone wore, holiday music, and general holiday mood. With the sour economy, it was nice to see everyone just out and having fun. Of course, it helped that there was free food involved, as there were lines 50 people deep for even some simple foods like Panera Bread cookies. Even though the lines were long, we (Steve, my girlfriend and I) had no problem waiting around and enjoying the scene. If we can camp out at Black Friday at 3am, we can wait 10 minutes for free food. :)Most of the food vendors were those directly in Redmond town center, like Thai Ginger, Meyfil (I always wondered if this name was a clever play on “Me Fill”), Ruby’s, that new sandwich/soupy Italian chain that replaced Cosi (THANK YOU), and Todai. Also there was Canyons, Azteca and Qdoba, which are close by.

For various reasons, we don’t review chain restaurants as a rule on Chef Seattle, but it’s events like these that tend to put some things into perspective on the roles of big food chains. What I mean is that when a large business gets involved, they have a marketing budget to sponsor events like the Redmond festival, because marketing and branding is what chain restaurants do best. Small, independently owned restaurants often don’t have the budget, manpower or - and I think this is a primary reason - foresight to sponsor these type of events. I love my small restaurants, but having talked with many chef/owners, I say it with love when I say they know food, but suck at self-promotion.The only independent food vendor passing out free food here was Meyfil, while every other one was a chain of some kind - though Thai Ginger and Canyons are both Seattle-based chains. I’m going to single out Mefil for a second, because as an Indian restaurant, I have to say that of all the various ethnic restaurants owners, Indians are the best pound-for-pound marketers. There’s often a good reason for that though, which is that many Indian restaurant and business owners are often highly educated individuals, with MBAs or other post-college education.

When I was volunteering at a food bank warehouse a few years ago, I had an eye-opening discussion with an Indian fellow - Gugan, I think his name was - who was working off 20 hours of community service. Explaining, he told me he owned seven convenience stores and managed all of them by himself, employing friends and family. Apparently, he had an MBA and wanted to start an integrated chip design outsourcing business when he came to America, but found he could do quite fine selling drinks and snacks to the masses. When I asked him about restaurants, he was pretty adamant that it was the same for that niche as well, with many well qualified owners doing it because they money made it worth it. After he left for the day, he offered me free Slurpees anytime at his stores, though I never quite took him up on that offer. :)

-- Grant Yuan http://www.chefseattle.com/
December 10, 2008 8:37 AM

minor edits by B. Yoder

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED