Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Walk in the Park


Howdy Neighbors, Bob Yoder asked me if I might contribute a few blog posts. Before I realized my commitment, I said, "yes!" My topic is about Redmond Parks and Trails. I am a regular user of Parks and Trails, so this should be an easy task for me.

Let me begin with Hartman Park. If you are new to Redmond, you may not have discovered this jewel yet. Hartman Park is located across the street from the Redmond High School at the top of Education Hill. The park is home to a King County swimming facility and 5 baseball fields. This is the home field of Redmond North Little League.

In 2004, Redmond North Little League won the Northwest region and participated in the Little League World Series in South Williamsport, PA. With Redmond North claiming the Northwest, it is the third team from Washington to claim the Northwest since its inception in 2001. Previous Washington champions were Bainbridge Island (2001), Richland (2003).

I walk thru the park virtually everyday with my companion dog, Sadie. Spring weather is showing color now in the park. The flowering plum trees are on display, and most trees are showing new green! Spring is a time of natural renewal, and plenty of outdoor activity.

I like this neighborhood park, and really enjoy watching the baseball games, and soccer games on the newer "turf" field. There is plenty of activity beginning in the spring, and that continues through the summer. In the summer, when my home windows are open for ventilation, I can easily hear all the baseball fans screaming, "go Johnny, go Johnny!"

My favorite area of the park is the wooded trail that meanders through a forest of cedars. It is walking in the woods that I feel grounded. Sadie likes to run freely on the trail. It is pure joy when she leaps to action and gives chase to a wild rabbit. We walked the park trail today in the rain. I got fairly wet from head to toe, yet the air is clean and fresh. My shoes got wet too, but they usually dry out overnight, for the next walk in Hartman Park.
Richard Morris
Education Hill neighborhood
Co-author

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED