Saturday, November 10, 2007

7/28/07, My 'Citizen Watch' Reporter column discontinued



The new Redmond Reporter editor from Seattle, Mr. Bill Christianson, appears to have discontinued my "Citizen Watch" column. So best not to waste your time looking for it in the paper.

I wanted you to know the new, young Editor decided not publish my "History of Redmond Mayors" column after recieving a "Press Advisory" from Kim Van Eckstrom, of City Communications. Kim (and the Mayor) complained of "errors" in my "water supply " opinion column. It was clear they were trying to discredit me. Most of my column information that Kim Van Eckstrom said was wrong was taken right off the city website -- edited by Van Eckstrom.

So far, the newspaper has been unable to set the record straight for me and has referred me to the city. Looks like the city 'owns' the paper now. Obviously, during an election politics are heightened. Such is the case. It is known that certain high-level staff members are actually campaigning for Jim Robinson. The "Press Advisory" was triggered by a blog I wrote on Jim's campaign sign "challenge" for safety. At that point, the Administration knew who I was supporting. They have also been frustrated by my blog.

The good news is I'm working with the city administration to improve the factual content on their website, (or stand behind it), encourage a comprehensive water conservation program, and improve communications with citizens who wish to participate in our government.
If you want to read any of my "Citizen Watch" columns they're all posted on the Front Page of this blog under the "MY GROUPS" , "Community ". I've also posted a detailed rebuttal to the Administration about their "Correction" claims there.

Letters to the Editor can me mailed to letters@redmond-reporter.com

Thanks for your readership!
As always,
Bob


RICHARD MORRIS - "Letter to Editor" RR
Bob Yoder’s Citizen Watch column (July 11th) apparently hit a nerve at the Redmond City Hall. I just wanted to clarify our discovery of hidden waste tanks near Evans Creek. Bob and I were doing some field research on Redmond’s Stream Map Update in October 2005. We were concerned about the classification of each stream shown on Redmond’s Stream Map. The map is used by developers to make Land Use Proposals. We discovered hidden waste tanks near Evans Creek along Union Hill Road, and inquired about the status of the tanks with the City of Redmond. After some jurisdiction discussions, King County Councilwoman Kathy Lambert and staff visited the site. The waste tanks were removed in November 2005.I have known Bob Yoder as a neighbor for over 25 years. We have worked together on many Citizen Watch projects as we are both passionate about Redmond’s natural assets. I am proud to know Bob and I can assure you that he strives to do his best to raise awareness about quality of life issues in Redmond. I encourage other readers to support Bob Yoder’s Citizen Watch column in the Redmond Reporter. The newspaper is our community forum.
Saturday July 28, 2007 - 02:00pm (PDT)

RICHARD MORRIS:
Bob, here is an interesting article on http://www.slate.com/id/2171305/fr/flyout about a journalist who is given a second chance. I thought you might find it interesting reading.If the RR gives you a second chance to write Citizen Watch, I have some ideas on how to write a bullet-proof column.I think you have found your voice, and it is effective. If no one in the city hall were reading your column, they would not have “objected to your version of facts”.I hope the RR gives you a second chance to write Citizen Watch. Your column is needed in our town.Thanks, Richard
Saturday July 28, 2007 - 02:02pm (PDT)

YODER
Thanks, Richard. After glancing at this Saturday's RR "opinion column" on trans-fats I realized we do need a respectable citizen Forum in the RR. Maybe they could take my column space and give to the candidates - "Candidate's Turn". If we could get the city to ask - especially Van Eckstrom the young editor would probably move on it. Another idea would be: "Staff's Turn". Then Bill Campbell would be able to explain the continuing Perrigo Springs mess and Kim Van Eck. could defend her "corrections" policy or explain her 16 yeaar old water conservation initiatives. So far, I haven't found them. :) Bob
Saturday July 28, 2007 - 03:12pm (PDT)


COUSIN BRUCEY
hey ho bobo great caesar's ghost kent...perry white woulda never given ya the heave ho... apparently whats news to some is disruptive to others...the squelching of opinion or commentary is a red flag for its need...so it'll be up to the regulars of this blogusphere to stand atop the hill of information you provide and cast its wisdom upon our uneducated masses... probably time to launch that write in candidacy...ey bobo.
Monday July 30, 2007 - 12:36pm (PDT)

FROM: Barb Thompson, Ed. Hill -- I just sent off an email to the Redmond Reporter complaining them about the removal of your column. I want you to know that I appreciate your “cut to the chase, tell the whole story” philosophy.8/5/07

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED