Saturday, November 10, 2007

7/24/07 Holly Plackett's Letter to the Neighborhood Blog


Dear Neighbors,

As my campaign promise, you may have heard that I pledge to re-build trust in Redmond City government, establish more transparency, fiscal responsibility and increased opportunity for resident involvement in Redmond’s city government. But, what exactly does that mean?

Many of us judge our quality of life by the quality of our neighborhoods. How our neighborhoods look, how accessible they are and how safe they feel are all aspects that affect our quality of life.
As Mayor of Redmond, I pledge to strengthen the processes that will protect our neighborhoods and quality of life while supporting fiscally responsible, meaningful growth.

To problem solve and encourage new leadership in our community, I will encourage the organization of formal neighborhood associations and develop more opportunities for open discussions between residents and City administration and staff. Residents will be empowered to have a voice in the decisions that affect their lives and neighborhoods. Public discussion will be convenient, timely, and considered part of the planning process.

I will promote significant input from residents and dialogue with City administration and staff prior to any changes taking place. This is your right as a resident and my duty as an elected official.

I will also continue to emphasize multi-modal transportation. Pedestrian and bike trails, van pools, and transit, in addition to roads, will provide clean, efficient, environmentally friendly transportation for our entire community. Toward this end, I will also support use of bio-diesel vehicles for the City’s fleet.

For business, I will create an environment where small businesses, as well as major employers, maintain a substantial role in a vibrant economy for Redmond residents. This includes insuring a fair tax structure for businesses and implementing the final decisions of the Downtown Master Transportation Plan, which include a pedestrian friendly, well-connected street grid that encourages and supports our downtown area's small and medium size employers.

To benefit the entire community, I will work to attract a branch of the University of Washington or Cascadia Community College to Redmond. The expansion of Lake Washington Technical College into Redmond demonstrates the vitality that local educational opportunities can add to a growing community.

Those who know me know I walk my talk. I do not ask of others what I am not willing to do myself. I keep my promises and work hard to achieve my goals. I believe that reading, listening, and probing different perspectives are essential before taking a position on any issue. I am also willing to acknowledge mistakes or change a position based on new information.

As Mayor of Redmond, I will mentor new leadership throughout the community. I will lead positively and encourage others by looking for opportunities to praise and using constructive criticism when appropriate. I will also approach each situation with a win-win attitude. I believe that this approach coupled with active civil discourse and citizen participation can produce productive government built of reasonable compromise and promising outcomes.

My five years of experience working on the Redmond Planning Commission and four years working on the City Council gives me the background to strengthen Redmond’s neighborhoods and to listen to and act on neighborhood and regional business concerns. I would welcome the opportunity to serve as your Mayor.

Warm regards,
Holly Plackett

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED