Friday, November 9, 2007

2/7/07, My Diary of Tent City

Saturday, 2/10 The Tent City is moving in today, about 700 feet from our house. Driving past the bus stop adjacent RJH I noticed a congregation of homeless types hanging out for the bus. They were. I talked to a few. They were bussed over from a shelter (cpc?) in Seattle to attend a ShareWheel meeting. Not members of TC4.The guy I talked to was a transient who said he had no ID! He's from TX has only been in the Seattle shelter for 2 weeks. He refused to sign up w/ tent city because the manual was 2 inches thick. Tent City also tests for drugs. Bottom line: This guy and possibly other transients (about 15) at the stop is what the community fears the most. Tent City resident screening is more thorough than Seattle. At the Seattle shelter (UWAB) they don't test for drugs and alcohol.Wilcox is my neighbor (and family friend) and unscreened transients are his primary underlying objection to Tent City. Being a father of a 14 year old, I agree -- that's my main concern. I advocate for their recovery but obviously don't like the location near schools and neighborhoods with lots of children. As I walked away from the group, one yelled at me an unsolicited christian blessing and warned not to take pictures from a distance. Tent city doesn't bother me. It's the transient riff-raff -- unscreened & unmonitored that bothers me. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUNDAY, 2/11 These folks are much like present day Hobos. Instead of living in box cars and traveling by trains they hang out at bus stops and encampments. I've met a number of them. I feel much sympathy and pain for them. They appear mostly: docile, withdrawn, dejected, self-conscious, with humility, lackadaisical, many in a daze or fog, some with bad teeth. I told my wife Bellevue spent $250K trying to keep TC4 out. Lambert (county commissioner) said $60,000 was spent by a city on police overtime. Pam figured TC4 could build their own building for the $ spent to keep the encampments afloat. I think if a shelter was built the hobo's would never leave. Today it's raining. Who would want to live in a tent in the elements for long?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, 2/12 First day of school with TC4 in operation. My daughter reported no problems at school. A few more cars picking up after-school v-ball players. A few more cars dropping kids off at school. Made plans with a non-profit to offer mental health support services to TC4. I'll visit the camp this week to present the opportunity to Father Dave. (I 'll skip days without news). --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, 2/13 I drove into the St. Jude parking lot at 4:30pm; it was lightly raining. American flag flying. The tent site was wrapped with blue, 5 foot privacy screening. Except for a TV, the site was noticeably quiet. Walking towards the laundry area I saw residents playing on two computers. Wondered if they had WI-FI? Over 15 10-speed bikes where parked on site. The tents were large, in good shape and securely anchored in 4 long rows. No smoke; hardly any chatter. Two workers wearing construction vests - cleaning up. I found the leader, Brian Thomas. He told me he was a TC4 founder, past 3-yr TC3 resident and a TC resident for 5 years. Brian was of sound mind, good health, and good judgement. I wonder if ShareWheel pays him? Probably. He was open to non-profit mental health support and referred me to Scott Morrow of ShareWheel (206-448-7889). I'll call tomorrow.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday, 2/14 Drove thru the TC lot and noticed 3 older gentlemen in green traffic vests. They are volunteers for St. Jude or ShareWheel. It was raining lightly and they looked kinda miserable standing around without much to do. They were stationed at 166x104, across from Mann, and N. of the church.
My friend Jon said problems don't typically occur when lots of kids are out -- commuting to and from school; most problems (if any) occur before and after the school commute. Most kids had a buddy or were in a group today.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 2/15 A neighbor told me the City has only 1 shower for about 40 residents and they may have up to 65 residents. 3 porta-pottys, 4 sinks (2 with hot water), and they are only allowed to sleep in the church if it's below freezing. They don't eat inside accept on occasion.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosann, an Ed. Hill neighbor and past St. Jude Church member quoted:
"I just heard from a member of Faith Lutheran Church that two Tent City residents were asked to leave the camp because of excessive noise.

They had no ride anywhere and a church member offered to drive them somewhere to get help. I don't know any more details other than that."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, 2/24 talked to Matt for an hour, a tent city resident of 9 months. He invited me to the next Thursday dinner at 6pm to meet the Share Wheel Operator. I plan to present some "Club House" informational packets of services available for those with brain disorders. (I wrote this up in detail on my blog site (search social-services)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, 2/27 Hearing scattered comments from a few parents about "homeless sightings". The dairy queen, walking up the street, the QFC store... The most disconcerting comments were from a basketball mom who was frightened seeing two men at 9PM sitting on the RJH bench by the front entrance. And, my 5th grade lunch buddy said that men were staring at at watching some of his school chums.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 3/1 I went to the TC specifically to meet the ShareWheel manager -- about a non-profit that offers mental health support. He wasn't there. Father Dave told me the residents all stayed in their tents during last night's snow. He said they had about 48 residents now but started off with 72. He mentioned about 6 residents moved up and out. My question is what happened to the others? Dave said most residents are from the Eastside. We talked about the critical importance of social support from the TC .
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, 3/2 The "Redmond Reporter's" Saturday "Police Blotter" reported that Police were called at 9 p.m. into the Tent City to arrest a woman with a warrant -- she was applying for residency at Tent City.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, 3/12. A neighbor have me this link to an online discussion on TC4 http://www.topix.net/forum/city/redmond-wa/TJ2AG3THRSB9FRUCF/p1

The Pre-Hearing to the appeal is coming up this Tuesday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, 3/13: I've noticed I'm getting a lot of hits on my Diary blog from Tent City folks -- at least 2 per day. It would be nice if they could spend more time looking for work than looking at the computer for news about themselves. Your TC4 IP address is 76.22.14.86

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 3/15: Finally made contact with Mr. Marrow, the ShareWheel Administrator. Just got off the phone with him. I told him I had info on a non-profit that wanted to help but he was very busy and wouldn't be out for the regularly scheduled Thursday dinner. (3rd time he was absent on my call). He recommended I see him between 6:30am - 7:30am on T, W. TH in Seattle. After some persistence, he informed me he's in TC4 once a day and could see today or Friday. I gave him my CELL since he never knows when he'll be there. I've got some great information on some great support services for some of the residents and can't wait to see him about it. 5:40 p.m. update: no call from Mr. Marrow today.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, 3/19: Mr. Marrow didn't call on Friday. He called today at 12:30 and wouldn't make an appointment to see me. I don't understand. ShareWheel states as soon as a Tent City opens it starts to attract services and support. Well, I've been trying to present free non-profit health services for weeks now with no one wanting to meet with me. Even Father Dave didn't want my materials. Father Dave recommended I see Mr. Marrow but he doesn't seem to care either about how these services that could help some residents recover and find jobs. All Mr. Morrow could say was he is in and out of TC4 once a day. All I could ask was could he please call me on my cell Monday or Tuesday when he had a moment. Do the operators of TC4 really want to help their residents return to a normal life OR just tent them?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Saturday, March 21: Comment from a mental health community leader -- "From my limited experience, residents may not have an official diagnosis, or, may not want to be associated with anything other than 'temporary involuntary poverty/misfortune'. Too bad that the stigma of mental illness is so great. "

A response: Why not "kill two stigmas with one 'stone' by treating brain disorders -- a root cause of homelessness? Plausible answers: It takes "two stones". Both 'stigmas' are co-morbid and must be treated at the same time for recovery from both mental health & homelessness.

Saturday, March 24: According to the National Resources Center on Homelessness approximately 20-25% of homeless have serious mental illness. Great website :

http://www.nrchmi.samhsa.gov/facts/facts_question_1.asp

Though St. Jude's and ShareWheel administration appear disinterested in free, mental health recovery programs, local resources are available to assist TC4 residents for their recovery and job finding.

TC4 and permanent neighborhood residents may contact: HERO HOUSE, 425-614-1282. www.herohouse.org. They have free van pick-up services and $2 meals. Lots of computers. Confidential statement from medical practitioners is required for membership. I left Hero House brochures on the bulletin board several days ago.

Tuesday, March 29: The TC4 appeals occurred tonight. As they say, you can't fight city hall. My neighbor was an appellant. He put in hours & days of work for his appeal. When I asked him why he appealed his core answer was because the ShareWheel non-profit cared more about their survival and homeless mission than caring for their residents.

-Monday, April 15: quiet and peaceful since my last log -in. Father Dave says most all of his residents are from the Eastside. I have an acquaintance who's relative joined TC4, in part for social "treatment" (therapy) for a serious brain disorder. She was difficult to live with at her relatives home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two comments & decision from Father Dave on caring for the health of Tent City residents:

Wednesday, April 25: I informed Father Dave of the synergies of Hero House (for psychiatric rehab) and TC4. Both organizations heal, in a large part, by removing the afflicted from their isolation. Father Dave responded: "...Bruce, the camp coordinator for Tent City 4 [received the information on HERO HOUSE]. He was very appreciative. He said that he would share it also with the Share-Wheel organizers so that there may be increased knowledge about the program and, hopefully, greater usage. Again, any information can be left at the reception desk at the entry of T-city." -FATHER DAVE

&&&&&&&&&

Thanks for the information on Hero House. Sounds like a great program. Being local, it will also likely well serve Tent City 4 Residents after the move to the Church of the Resurrection next month. I will pass on the information to Tent City. Any brochures, etc. can be left at the entrance Tent at Tent City at any time. These could then be left available to current and future residents of the camp. The turn over is extensive. It is great to hear about the many who have found jobs, apartments, and otherwise improved their lot.

Thanks again,

Fr. Dave Rogerson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, 4/27: HERO HOUSE HOME PAGE http://www.herohouse.org/index.html

I dropped some literature, confidentiality info, and membership aps. for HH at TC4.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
,Saturday 4/28/07
EXCELLENT SITE ON HOMELESSNESS & MENTAL HEALTH - (excerpt below) http://www.nrchmi.samhsa.gov/facts/

"Over a five-year period, about 2–3 percent of the U.S. population (5–8 million people) will experience at least one night of homelessness. For the great majority of these people, the experience is short and often caused by a natural disaster, a house fire, or a community evacuation.2

A much smaller group, perhaps as many as 500,000 people, have greater difficulty ending their homelessness. As one researcher who examined a sample of this group over a two-year period found:3

Most—about 80%—exit from homelessness within about 2–3 weeks. They often have more personal, social, and economic resources to draw on than people who are homeless for longer periods of time.

About 10% are homeless for up to two months, with housing availability and affordability adding to the time they are homeless.

Another group of about 10% is homeless on a chronic, protracted basis—as long as 7–8 months in a two-year period. Disabilities associated with mental illnesses and substance use are common. On any given night, this group can account for up to 50% of those seeking emergency shelter. (
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thursday, May 3: I attended the 16th Annual "Mayor's Prayer breakfast" hosted by St. Jude's Church and led by the City Chaplain. Mayoral candidates Coumcilmember Jim Robinson and Holly Plackett were present. Afterward, I took a tour of tent city. My eyes opened to the definition of "homelessness". Many of the residents simply use the "city" for a way to save money before "moving on". One fellow from Arizona was saving up money before heading out to work in an Alaskan cannery. He was sending $$ to his 8-year old daughter. He said that 70% of the 74 residents at TC4 were out working to day or looking for work. Another resident was saving $$ by living in TC4 while she awaited a $50K grant for a an Indian-based resort she was building in the Aleutians. She is on LT disability and was also getting her leg rehabilitated. She owns 4 houses in Alaska, including a 3200sf home on the water. I met one of the few residents who is from Redmond. He's lived in TC4 for 2 years and seemed interested in the Hero House. He's a computer whiz. I was told there was another Redmond native living in TC4 with "old money" i.e. he's rich. He stays low.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE ST. JUDE TENT WEBSITE LOG OF TENT CITY 4

http://stjude-redmond.org/Bulletin/TC4.htm

I plan to write about my experiences with TC4 residents, the TC4 process and my personal mission -- in my "Citizen Watch" column of the Redmond Reporter for May 23.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, May 15 - a neighbor who first "warned" me about TC4 coming to town in November told me a TC4 crime had occurred on May 9th. It was a burglary by an evicted TC4 resident. (the eviction was 5 days prior to the incident). The 30-year old man is being held in King County jail on $10,000 bail. The neighbor said this man had door-belled for money and was drinking, but city police could not confirm this claim.

Tent City is pulling up the stakes this Saturday, 5/19 and heading off to the Church of the Resurrection in Bellevue. Father Dave wants Tent City back on his property again pending approval from his parish and a nod from the city. Permits would have to be applied for, just as before.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5/21/07 - the stakes are pulled; I think I saw them start to "tear down" last Friday. I think a fellow from the Hero House is living at TC4-Bellevue now. He may have been one of the earlier Hero House members. I hope he gets it together enough to encourage others in need to find comfort (and jobs) at the Hero House. I plan to do some testimonial effort in Bellevue, myself. It's raining hard right tonight. I wonder how they are doing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5/26/07 - I'll be closing the book on this diary after this entry. I wrote two new blogs on tent city & mental health statistics & "my observations and recommendations for a better tent city". I thought Father Dave's TC4 was for the most part very successful. The community is "softened" to the homeless and it should be a lot easier to find acceptance when they come back to Redmond. If they can keep the crime to a minimum, as they have, TC4 should do well. Calling in police during evictions is the best recommendation I could make to minimize crime. Providing some treatment options for mental health / sobriety care is just as important. TC4 brings in a mobile dental unit; Starbucks brings in their coffee; why not a behavioral health physician's assistant visit, a Hero House transportation service, and AA meetings? These services should be ready and waiting at each new tent city location. There is not excuse not to do so. Sharewheel should be ready to step up to their client's needs. Encampment permitting presidents have been set. TC's WILL go in, whether or not we acknowledge the large populations of seriously mentally ill homeless (23%) and the 60+% incidence of homeless alcoholism. So, let's step up and care for these folks besides putting a "roof" over their heads.

Writing my column on TC4 was a challenge. I tried to be fair. And, my focus was on mental health care owing to my brother dying from lack of good care. You can find the column in "Community Group". My parting thought is, I will somewhat miss my transient neighbors to some exent and would have accepted them staying on a month or two longer. The encampment was exceptionally quiet when I visited it and I never felt "the blight" that others talked about. Farewell.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: