Tuesday, May 16, 2023

UPDATED: Watch Out For Exorbitant Emergency Department Expenses / Mental Health Awareness Month

EvergreenHealth Medical Center - supported by District taxpayers

A month ago I was transferred from Fairfax Behavioral Health Hospital to EvergreenHealth Emergency Department (ED) for a concussion evaluation and incidental mental health care.  For ED services I was charged. 

$2,024 for a Level 4 Visit, $515.00 for intravenous hydration, $1,687 for a CT scan, $270 for an acetaminophen blood level, $270 for a urine toxicology screen, $379.00 for an ECG, $270.00 for an alcohol blood level, $309 for a lactic acid blood level, among other charges, totaling $7,079.  (Not counting the radiologist fee.)  

My insurance company had a contract with EvergreenHealth which helped.  I read somewhere on Evergreen's website tax-payer funds (via the levy) sometimes kick-in when insurance companies can't.  Our Emergency Department charges at Overlake were high, as well.  It seems ED physicians always need to take a CT; at least for us. We've had four CT's at four visits.  Stay out of ED's at all costs (no pun intended.)  Go first to Urgent Care or your Primary Care physician, if possible.  

As we all know, the cost of healthcare has sky-rocketed everywhere.  It's come to the point that people have had to resort  "medical credit cards."  Yahoo Business has an excellent article on these cards.

-- Bob Yoder, 5/16/2023

May is "Mental Health Awareness Month."  Under "comment" (below in blue,) I wrote in detail my recent experience of treatment and recovery at Fairfax Behavioral Health Hospital.  I hope you read it. Bob

1 comment:

  1. In the spirit of Mental Health Awareness Month I am being transparent in this piece about my April admission Fairfax Behavioral Health Hospital. For 13 days I was treated at this excellent hospital with the best of care: eight clinical psychologist group therapy sessions, art and music therapy, even a yoga class, tasty food, tea breaks, qualified pharmacists, and a caring, professional staff. My mental health nurse practitioner was better than most psychiatrists I've had in my 42 years with this mood illness.

    My wife helped immeasurably to peacefully admit me (at Overlake ED) and in working to release me. Recovery has gone well. My insurance carrier assigned a case manager advocate to be sure my new doctor adequately treated me and find a therapist if I wanted one. The previous doctor undermedicated causing this episode over concern about drug side effects. She's now gone. I was hospitalized only once before, in 1980; so this was a blow to my confidence to my esteem and the present system. Even the newly graduated psychiatrists with the best of training have a long way to go.

    My case manager is helping me with billing. $67k. The carrier has a contract with Fairfax and the ED's which helps. I'm planning remote therapy for follow-up.

    EvergreenHealth Medical Center would be helpful and create value to our community if their commissioners would decide to offer remote treatment and therapy services. The mental health problem is so great these days, especially for anxiety, depression, and child suicide that remote providers can't keep up with the demand. It's difficult to find providers. EvergreenHealth, providing virtual treatment would be a giant step forward in our community.

    Thank you for conversing with your friends and family about mental health struggles. We need not be ashamed about it, especially now. Bob Y.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED