Friday, July 5, 2019

The Sammamish River Trail Weasel

Weasel bounds across the Sammamish River Trail/ Credit John Rienke

This afternoon I was returning from a walk along the Sammamish River Trail here in Redmond, feeling a little disappointed at not having seen anything particularly interesting during my chilly June stroll.

As I approached the 90th St Bridge, I was astonished to observe a small weasel (no, it's not a squirrel) venture forth from behind a large boulder on the right side of the trail. It darted back behind the rock upon spotting an ambling pedestrian and speeding bicyclist, both of whom were heading north from underneath the bridge.

I had a hunch the weasel might try to cross the trail again, so I fished my small camera out of my pants pocket at the same time as I took a few steps closer.

Sure enough, after several seconds it ventured forth once again, peering along the path under the bridge for any further signs of activity.  After a moment's hesitation, it bounded swiftly across the trail.  I immediately pressed the shutter and got off several shots, as my camera was preset to shoot at the rate of 10 shots a second.

Upon reaching the east side of the trail, the weasel momentarily scurried hither and yon, before racing northward and then veering off into the bushes and disappearing.

Curiously enough, I had never seen a live weasel along the trail in all my years of walking along it - until two days ago.  The one I saw on that occasion was only about 50 yards north of where I saw the one today.  It may very well have been the same one.

 -- John Reinke 
     Photo: Reinke

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED