Friday, August 18, 2017

OPINION: An appalling experience at City Hall

Image result for opinion imagesI'm not sure if you know, or even care, but on the day after the Mayor's Annual "State of the City" address Councilmember John Stilin withdrew from the election by not filing for Position 6. Mr. Stilin had recently been promoted to Vice President of city council and everyone in the political community was shocked. Soon after, a brief Redmond Reporter article was published indicating Mr. Stilin felt it was time to move on and open the field to the rising stars in our community.

I've known Mr. Stilin for about ten years, beginning when he was an arts commissioner.  I've met John at community  meetings, watched him in scores of council meetings, and attended his publicized coffee chat sessions. I know him well, more than most citizens.  He's dedicated to the city and community and contributes significantly to how we "live, work, play and invest." in Redmond.  John's smart, ambitious, and politically savvy. He tends to have a "controlling" social style, and values power.

Now, finally my motivation for writing this opinion:

On August 8th I witnessed an appalling event in council chambers.  I  was attending a public Study Session in City Hall to hear council talk about their experiences at "National Night Out." Right after the meeting, Hank Myers, a friendly, tenured councilmember walked up to chat with me. Mr. Stilin closely followed, interrupted our conversation and without restraint, assailed, belittled and humiliated Mr. Myers right in front of me. As a member of the viewing public, I was shocked.. His attack had something to do with an opinion piece I'd written where Hank was footnoted as "inspirational." The incident opened Mr. Stilin's authentic political soul. I'm relieved he's not running for office.

Bob Yoder

Hank Myers, Chair of the Planning and Public Works Committee. soon followed-up with this clarifying piece

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED