Tuesday, October 13, 2015

UPDATED: What is the job of city commissioners from the perspective of a citizen

UPDATED OPINION:  From my frustrations with the Administration and emotions stirred by the elections, I want to apologize for what I said in a Letter to the Editor of the Redmond Reporter and a blog post about "the
Marchione commissioners appearing to be "Yes Men".  They are valued citizens in our community and play an important volunteering role in the deliberation on the issues of our city.  They are not elected representatives and should not be treated with the same scrutiny that comes with the job of Mayor and Council.  For that, I apologize.

What bothers me is why is it so difficult for the Administration to attract citizens to these commissions?  One would think that with the town "turned upside down" by our rapid growth that citizens would be running to apply for these prestigious volunteer jobs.

I've followed  the council meetings very closely over the years and at times will criticize our elected and the government to activate change, but I always try to offer solutions.  For the first time last year I applied for a commissioner post.  Actually, I also tried to be a member of the Community Advisory Committee for Education Hill years ago under the Ives administration.  In both attempts to join in on "the process" I was "told to go away".  Needless to say I was bothered and my failure to be accepted to a commission, in part, led me to believe that you had to be "like minded" to be included in the Marchione commissions.

Currently, there are three commission jobs open -- two for Parks and Trails and one for the Library.
I've noticed in the city press release the Administration is posting the agenda for these positions. (I don't recollect seeing the agenda when I applied). Describing the job description in detail is valuable. I'm not sure making the agenda known will improve the diversity of the commissions and attract more applications but at least the public will know what's expected of them and how they function.

Bob Yoder

7 comments:

  1. It’s frustrating to me because I’ve been told by a council member that they didn’t have enough applications for the Planning commission position and it has yet to be filled. This council member also stated that 'it’s sad that no one wants to get involved in the process'. My Planning commission application made it as far as being received because I got an email that said they’d received it. But nothing after that. A bit of a catch-22 if you ask me…

    I am applying for the Parks Commission position; but in all honesty I don't expect to even be considered as I don't have the qualifications the commission is looking for. I'm not sure that a 'regular citizen' would meet the qualifications in any case. If that's true, what's the purpose of volunteer positions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I was so late in publishing your comment. I agree with what you say and think it's sad that this is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the apology, Bob. As one of those commissioners, and currently the most-senior member of the Arts and Culture Commission, the criticism was confusing.

    I can only speak for the Arts and Culture Commission, and not for any of the others, and can tell you quite clearly that we are not "Yes Men." In addition to our diverse backgrounds, interests, and personal passions, we enjoy a good conversation about what is best for our fellow residents and the City. We don't always unanimously agree on the best ways that these should be accomplished, but we always come together in the best interests of the greater good. You could best call us "Yes Redmond People." :-)

    To your point about citizen representation, it is a topic that we have discussed on the Arts and Culture Commission since I joined in 2010. Our City has many wonderful opportunities to experience local culture, but sometimes participation is lacking. We would love nothing more than to be overwhelmed by a show of in-person support for any one of the wonderful and unique arts and cultural events that our superior City staff works so hard to organize and manage. Would you be willing to ask your readers why more of them do not attend the City events?

    For any citizen of Redmond interested in learning more about the activities of the Arts and Culture Commission, or any other City commission, I invite you to attend one of our meetings. They are all advertised on the City website and open to the public.

    Thanks again for acknowledging the criticism.

    Best regards,

    Rob Leavitt
    Arts and Culture Commission, 2010-Present

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Rob for your comment and your understanding. It's a relief to know that my Apology is getting through to the Commissions -- at least the Arts Commission. I and my wife have some thoughts about the art in our community. One of these days I need to take some time to express them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a citizen of Redmond, I can tell you why I don't participate in more cultural events. It's because of the ability to get to them. Traffic and parking is so bad that I don't feel like fighting the congestion to get there. I live only 2 1/2 miles away from the central downtown corridor and the only way to get there during events is by bicycle. My husband and I have ridden our bicycles in the past, but not every event is bicycle friendly. Sometimes the weather is bad. Sometimes finding a place to lock up our bikes is poor. Sometimes it's hard to navigate a bicycle through the traffic. If Redmond could remember that residents less than 5 miles away are still residents of Redmond, there might be more activity within the city in general. Not everyone can or wants to live in them multi-use apartment buildings in downtown Redmond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately,and with discretion,I'm not publishing the offensive email the Mayor sent me ridiculing me on my Letter of apology. My correspondence with the Mayor was too personal and sensitive to expose it to the public.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bob,

    I was licensed with a Yes Man tag and thought it was rather humorous. My wife would say I wish you were a Yes man because all I want to do is stir it up. I am OK, you are a good guy.

    As you are aware I was on the Parks board for 7+ years and ran public meetings and got yelled at by fellow citizens, but when the park gets done, they are a happy group. The amount of scrutiny and patience is overwhelming.

    One thing I have learned is that if you build a great park, you will never have enough parking. Grasslawn Park will have over 300+ people using it and they park in the neighborhoods etc. People ride bikes to Derby Days, walk to events, carpool, park the car several blocks away and go to the events. And we will do the same for the downtown park.


    As for the mayor, he once appointed someone the staff did not prefer, but this person was by far the best person possible. I don't know if the mayor like the person, but they were the best for the board position. Worked out great.

    This election has gotten personal and mostly at the mayor. Lines of common decency have been crossed. Change and growth is hard and painful, but beats staying where we are. The idea of the mayor being cozy with certain business people suggests that he is not of high character. I have known him for years and found him to be a considerate, honest, high moral individual and very smart.

    I do appreciate you clearing the air and that takes courage!

    Have a terrific day!

    Peter McDonald

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED