Friday, July 27, 2012

Kim Allen for King County Superior Court Pos. No 30

Kim Allen
Rated "Very Good" by the King County Municipal League
Rated "Well Qualified", Joint Asian Bar Association
Rated "Qualified", Washington Women Lawyers


Many of you know me as the Councilmember from Redmond. For the last 7 years, I have been out in my community listening to the people I serve and working collaboratively to find solutions. I bring that with me to the bench.

So why am I running for judge? We need a new generation of listeners who are committed to making everyone who comes to the court feel safe, respected and heard. Our judges should reflect the community we serve. I have worked the criminal side as a prosecutor and have litigated cases many of practice areas that come before this court. My work as a hearing officer requires navigating the complex law of land use in hearings where citizens are often upset and confused about changes in their neighborhoods. My years as a councilmember serving the people I represent make me a very good listener, which is a key skill for a judge.

My decision to challenge Douglass North for Position 30 was initially prompted when I learned that he has not taken the bench in Department 30 since December of 2011, in spite of the court's crushing backlog of cases. Read More >>


While I empathize with the challenge of extended illness, being a superior court judge is not just a job, it is a public office where we are expected to be on the bench, in person, to conduct the business of the court, or to step down. You cannot work from home. I also believe that the court does not have the discretionary resources in this economic climate to cover his caseload indefinitely, with no date for his return. I am ready to take the bench immediately to reopen Department 30 once again.

As I reviewed his record, I was also disturbed by his handling of 2 high profile rape cases, one last year and one in 2009, where unrepresented defendants were permitted to repetitively question their victims with minimal intervention by my opponent.

SeattlePI.com quoted the prosecutor in one of those high profile cases as she described my opponent’s court in 2009:

"'This is the most offensive line of questioning I've heard in 10 years of practice,' [said the prosecutor], struggling to contain her disdain for Skanda and apparent anger over his failure to abide by North's earlier orders. 'This is a court of law, not a court of terror for him, and I can't help but believe he is getting off on terrorizing this woman again,' she added. 'He is thumbing his nose at this process and he's using it to terrorize this woman.'"   

The full article is here
Courtroom control is a judge's responsibility, and we can assure a defendant's full right to confrontation while demanding respectful treatment of all witnesses.
There is a need for the skills and experience I bring and I believe I can make a difference. Being out in the community has ingrained in me that lawyers must never lose sight of the people behind the cases. I never will. That's why I ask for your vote on August 7. Thank you.
"[Kim is] an experienced jurist with a solid record of service and achievement in our community". Franz Wiechers-Gregory
"It is our honor to support a dedicated community focused individual such as yourself. You will elevate the King County justice team, once elected". -Michallea Schuelke
"Kim Allen is...a community leader who listens to all perspectives and makes decisions with compassion and deliberation..." -Suzanne Querry

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED