Thursday, November 10, 2011

Redmond High Principal Todd writes parents about the power of community in addressing drug abuse

Principal Jane Todd, Redmond HS writes in the November issue of the "Mustang Messenger"

"....I know the world has changed.  As an example, as I write this, on October 31, 2011, we are projected to reach 7 billion people worldwide today. In the 60's, the world population was 2 billion. But I also know that people are pretty much the same, albeit a bit more harried. I experienced the power of community growing up, but I have also experienced the power of community time after time as an adult.  Read More >>
It is community that comes together to feed and clothe the poor both here and abroad; it is community the mourns the loss of a parent; it is community that takes in a child; it is community that responds to a request for gift cards so that RHS students can buy school clothes; it is community that volunteers its time in classrooms, in PTSA and Booster Clubs; and yes, it is community that decides that drinking and drugging among young people is not acceptable.

Several of you [RHS parents] wrote to thank me for my e-mail message about Homecoming "after-parties." Some of you alluded to arguments that ensued over this between you and your neighbors. Some of you told me stories. Some of you expressed dismay, and perhaps resignation, over "other" parents who would disregard my message. I thought about just writing the facts in this month's Messenger: Marijuana is ten times stronger than it was a couple decades ago. Marijuana is often sold laced with PCP, hashish, or other substances. The adolescent brain is still developing. Drugs kill brain cells. Once the brain cells are dead, they not only do not regenerate, the branch on which the cells die is also stopped from developing. If adults provide or allow alcohol/drugs to be consumed in their homes, they can be prosecuted for providing the illegal substances to minors, but they can also be liable for any damage (such as vehicular assault or homicide, or such as an alcohol induced coma which ends in a tragedy) that stems from the consumption. They can lose their homes; they can lose their freedom; they can live with a lifetime of regret.

I thought about just writing the facts, but I also thought that community is stronger than facts, is stronger than dire admonitions, is stronger than a few who are not persuaded by those facts and admonitions in any case.

And, so, as a postscript to my e-mail message, here is my plea and my challenge: Redmond is a strong community, by any number of indicators. Use that strength to create a community purpose and a vision that in Redmond, Washington, our children do not drink and drug; our children are not forced by peer or societal pressure to assume pseudo adulthood before they are ready; our children are safe. I will end with one of my favorite quotes: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead.

  -- Principal Jane Todd, RHS
excerpted from the Mustang Messenger

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED