Friday, September 30, 2011

LETTER: Expression of hate in city park angers resident



swastika taped to park tag wall
LETTER:  I was at the Redmond Edge Skate Park this week during one of the beautiful summer-like afternoons.  The park was in full use with teens on skateboards, scooters and bikes.  As I was watching the activity I noticed five teens placing duct tape on one of the graffiti walls.  (For those that don’t know, these graffiti walls are provided by the City for legal street art or “tagging”.)  As the pattern took shape I could tell what it was – a swastika. I was flabbergasted by this behavior and I immediately called 911 because I thought they just committed a hate crime of some sort.  The teens noticed I was calling the cops and they were laughing and skating around the park taunting me with various hand gestures.  Ultimately they tried to blend into the crowd when they saw I wasn’t intimidated or backing away.
Redmond PD did respond with two officers and they pulled the duct tape boys to the side.  I asked one of the officers if this was some kind of hate crime, especially since it was on public property.  Unfortunately I was told the expression was protected by the Constitution.  I was frustrated and angry but I understand that even ignorant punks have rights to express themselves, even if I don’t agree with the form of expression of speech.  The responding officers gave a very stern lecture to the boys.  I’m not sure exactly what was said and any other action such as informing their parents. Read More >>

This behavior doesn’t belong in Redmond.  Expressions of hate have no place in our community or anywhere in our country.  These kids knew exactly what they were doing but I don’t know if they know the hate symbolized by a simple duct tape swastika.  I’m still angry and frustrated.  I can pass all kinds of personal judgment and opinions on these kids and their parents.  Education at school and home should create awareness that hate has no place in our community or country.  My fear is a simple swastika manifests into other more dangerous forms of hateful behavior where people are hurt, property is damaged, and violence erupts.  I have zero tolerance for this kind of a “simple prank.”

I am very thankful for the response Redmond PD provided.  In some cities the police may not have even bothered to respond.  In many ways I feel the police officers provided more of a learning experience to the boys than they could get at home or school. Fortunately the swastika was taken down almost immediately. I support having graffiti walls that kids and street artists can legally use for expression and tagging outlets.  However I have zero tolerance for any expression that represents or manifests into hate. 

My call to action for those who read this is to make sure your families, friends, and children know the kind of diverse and dynamic community we live in has no room for hate.  We may not agree on all issues which is perfectly acceptable.  But my hope is we have some extra little bit of awareness and we stay united against any forms of hate, no matter how seemingly innocuous. 

By Brian Hansford
Redmond resident

2 comments:

  1. @Brian: Thanks for reporting this to the police...a sad tale it is. Lots of kids bus to the park from other cities, so they may not be Redmond residents. Regardless, this is terrible behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks to Brian Hansford for calling the cops and refusing to back down to intimidation by these misguided youths.

    Hate insignia like swastikas have no place in Redmond.

    Thanks also to the Redmond police for quickly and effectively responding to the situation.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED