Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Juel Park, pea patches, and backyard chickens

Carrie relaxing in her pea patch
Juel Community Park
This is a story about Juel Park, pea patches and backyard chickens. 
A rare afternoon of sunshine spotted  Redmond yesterday.  It was a good day to visit one of our many splendored parks.   After running some errands, and a feeble attempt to find work, I was off to PCC shopping center (Avondale and 116th Street) for coffee and a walk to Juel Park, less then a quarter mile away. 
Juel Park is quiet and rustic, with historic farm buildings on the banks of Bear Creek.  Frisbee golfers were scattered on the meadowed course, their heads barely visible over the long grasses.  I was looking for the park "pea patches".  To my surprise, I found my neighbor Carrie working her patch!  She was sitting in her daughters Suzie's garden chair watering while rocking her foster child in a stroller.
"It's hard to grow tomatoes in my shady yard," Carrie said, "that's why I rent this patch from Parks and Rec.  It costs $50 a season for a large plot."  Veggies and flowers were everywhere:  beans, chard, carrots, dill, tomatoes, pumpkins, potatoes peppers, sunflowers, even hops and artichokes.  One "urban farmer" was raising tomatoes for Hope-Link.  The raspberries and herbs are free for growers. 
I asked Carrie if she was going to tonight's backyard chicken meeting at City Hall.  (August 3, 6-8:30 PM at Redmond City Hall.).  To my complete surprise she recounted: 
"I know all about them.  My backyard abuts a neighbor who's had four hens in her backyard for two years.  They built a nice coop painted the same color of the house."  (I asked if they were noisy or smelled.)  "They don't have a rooster. We hear the dog next door.  Only soft "momm"  "momm" sounds from the birds.  They eat the insects.  The manure pellets are fertilizer for her raised garden.  But  the raccoons will eat chickens so at night they're put back in the coop.  My children have learned from the birds and enjoy them.  They're scouts at the Lutheran troop. 
I must say, this was a real lessen for me.  I walk by this house almost every day and had no idea chickens were pecking around.  The friendly owner likes to garden and we say hi when passing.  My perspective on backyard chickens is changing.  I'm beginning to view these critters with a more open eye.  I keep learning more and more about them.  When asked, Carrie told me roosters aren't needed for chickens to lay eggs.  Did you know that?!  The public is invited to the chicken meeting tonight at City Hall.  I've got a lot more to learn about these critters.  Are you going?
Opinion By Bob Yoder 
iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I went to the city chicken meeting last night with my wife. She doesn't like the idea of bringing chickens from rural farms to our backyards; but she suggested a community area where residents could "rent a coup" and raise their own chickens for organic eggs. I think Juel Park could be an excellent community site. There's already a larger area then the pea patch area that's laying fallow and covered with landscape cloth. A community coup could be a good starting point and excellent venue for education. What do readers think!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pea patches may be a welcome idea for an apartment/condo dweller, but it makes no sense for a homeowner to have to use a pea patch. If you can't grown some vegetables on your own land b/c of shady trees that no one will allow you to cut...well, that shows how insane we've become.

    And let's not forget how un-eco-friendly it is to drive back and forth to maintain this little pea patch.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED