Monday, October 12, 2009

Fire Drill at the Evergreen Hospital County District Commission Meeting!

I attended my first Evergreen Hospital District Commission meeting last week.  No sooner did I enter the room than fire bells sounded!   The fire alarm was a first for a Board Meeting and a double for me!   This meeting was a "Study Session".   I found them as professional as Redmond council meetings and more formal than the relaxed LW school board  "Work Sessions".  

The Hospital District holds study sessions in their Chambers without video taping them.  The Redmond Council holds their study sessions in Chambers, with LIVE TV, video and audio taping and recorded Minutes.  The LW School Board holds their work sessions in a back room and this Fall, started taking Minutes.   In summation, city council study session governance is the most visible, followed by the hospital district and then school district.

This being my first meeting, I hesitate reporting too much owing to distractions.    
  1. Of interest, Mr. Davis, a hospital construction manager, reported 45 construction projects planned or underway.  Evergreen Hospital Medical Center appears it's own little city!   
  2. Dr. Weinberg asked for Board Action (on October 20) to:  close the hospital oncology department and contract with Cascade Cancer Center for comprehensive medical oncology services.  My neighbor is a pediatric nurse for the highly regarded Dr. Weinberg and I used to call on him for ADHD sales. 
  3. Lake Washington Voc. Tech is expanding allied health, giving the hospital an opportunity for improved visibility there and additional space (400sf) in two years. 
  4. The hospital  performance audit will be brought to the public during a November Public Hearing.
Board meetings are held on the first and third Tuesday of the month at 6:30pm in the TAN Building #250.  The public has up to 10 minutes, per speaker, to address the Board on 3rd Tuesdays.  Hospital chambers are less intimidating than the towering city hall chambers.  School board chambers are the least intimidating. Regardless, will you turn out at meeting  and share your thoughts and opinions?  Or make a comment below the Blog posts?  Or, send in a story to share at the Blog?   Go for it!      

Everyone was friendly.  Shirley Grindland, Communications put me under her wing.  Steve Brown, CEO and Commissioner Auggie Kemph said hi.  Auggie represents Redmond and Sammamish tax payers.  His email is: auggie@kempfco.com  Auggie is Chairman of a financial planning, insurance and financial advising company.  He is past President of the Redmond Chamber of Commerce.  (photo on right).

by Bob Yoder

3 comments:

  1. This is very informative.
    About 7 years ago I had occasion to use the emergency services at the hospital and was very well treated.
    I think most of us don't appreciate the amount of time and energy it takes for volunteer board members to oversee an institutions like this. Personally, I'm very grateful to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Yoder,

    It was a pleasure meeting you at the Evergreen Hospital board meeting last week. If there are ever any questions regarding Evergreen and its role as a public hospital district, please feel free to contact me. I appreciate your most recent blog posting and the transparency you are looking to achieve. It is very consistent with how we deal with the community. When appropriate, I would like to introduce you to our community advisor program which has proven valuable in integrating the citizens of the ditrict to the mission of the hospital.

    Tom Martin
    Senior Vice President, Strategic/Support Services/CIO
    Evergreen Hospital Medical Center
    by Martin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Martin -
    I recall you said "the sick patients" and their insurance cos. pay a large part of the cost to grow Evergreen Hospital?

    Therefore, the $950/month premium I pay to insure my family (of 3)with a catastrophic policy contributes to funding the hospital and specialty services; not counting my property taxes. As, I told you, if I had a choice I would rather spend my insurance dollars on personal health and wellness for my family (and my family budget) than build another specialty center or covered breezeway. I'm looking forward to studying your mission and vision statements. Thank you for your interest in my work.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED