Friday, July 3, 2009

OPINION: Independence from my grinding Watch on groundwater quality.

UPDATED, 7/8 - OPINION: Five years ago, a friend and I came upon a hazardous waste site on Evans Creek. The waste was dumped on top of a shallow City wellhead aquifer. The discovery eventually led to a crack-down by 9 regulatory agencies to clean up the site. This experience led to the birth of this blog and my zealous reporting on City protections of our underground drinking water.

This being the eve of July 4th, I'm happy to shout freedom from my "city watch" over the safety of our drinking water aquifer. (I know the City is happy, too.) As of tomorrow, I will stop grinding my axe on the issue. Why now? It's simple. I've watched the Marchione Administration for two years cope with the challenges of protecting our groundwater aquifers and I'm confident we are in very good hands. THIS Administration has replaced the mad scrambles and PR campaigns of the past with a fresh transparency to the challenges and solutions of a more secure wellhead water.

The genuine, transparency exhibited by the Mayor and his staff, of late, was all I needed to claim my independence! Last Tuesday night four staff members (including a stormwater engineer and geologist) -- backed up by the confident DNR Manager and Public Works Director -- covered ALL the sensitive issues...and ones new to me.

The display of transparency was impressive and re-assuring. A few of the points made were, as follows:
  • The City is fully vested in protecting our wells! For example, Well #5 supplies 1/3 of the city's drinking (well)water capacity. If Well #5 went down it would cost taxpayers $800,000 per year to replace the water and over $12 Million just to hook into a new pipe. Full protection of our groundwater is a good investment and worth every penny.
  • 110 parcels have been identified as threats to untreated stormwater entering the aquifer. Landowner's stormwater fees will be lowered to help them with the expense of retrofitting of these systems, to treat stormwater before it infiltrates into the ground.
  • Underground parking is becoming common in Downtown. Often permanent "de-watering" (removing water) is required since the Downtown sits over a very shallow aquifer. The City is on top of this. (no pun).
  • Hazardous materials are methodically identified and secondary containment is enforced.
  • This information was gathered from the last part of Council's taped June 30 Study Session, linked here: http://rctv.redmond.gov/ondemand/CC063009.wmv

Do you have any comments on this? Thanks to Mayor Marchione and his staff for a very difficult job being well done! I can rest in peace. Free at last!

7 comments:

  1. I heard the Mayor's interview on RCTV last night. The Public Works Dir. and a city sewer engineer were interviewed, too. They talked about the 12 inch sewer line that will be trenched this summeer on Cleveland Ave...replacing the old 8 inch line.

    Poop flows down hill. Thus some question arises about how deep the new pipe must be trenched. De-watering from aquifer inflows may be a necessity. Of course, the city would be cautious about mitigating sewage leakage from the old pipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,

    I respectfully must disagree with you that your job is done as far as clean groundwater goes. If the City of Redmond TRULY cared about groundwater quality, they would be much more concerned about eliminating septic systems within city limits, many of which are now 40+ years old and are starting to fail.

    And what happens when a septic system fails? The wastewater (sewage) comes up to the surface and then runs off RIGHT INTO THE STORMWATER SYSTEM! That is happening now at one home that I know of (I won't say exactly where).

    And the city doesn't even care (sigh) . . .

    Ask the mayor or Bill Campbell what the 5-year, or the 10-year, or the 15-year plan is for eliminating septic systems from Redmond.

    When you get an answer, and there is funding provided to implement it, THEN your job will be done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Panesko -
    I'm not paid as a lobbiest. Until you do, I need a REAL job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After posting late last night, I realized that the example I gave of a failing septic system affects surface water quality and not necessarily groundwater, at least not directly.

    In several areas of this state, however, groundwater has been contaminated by nitrates, of which one source is septic systems.

    So my point remains: What is the City of Redmond doing to eliminate septic systems?

    We're ten years into the 21st century now. Considering only existing homes (and not those razed by redevelopment), how many less septic systems do we have in Redmond compared to 10, 20, or 30 years ago?

    And you may not be paid, but your hard efforts in this area have resulted in real progress in this city so a big THANK YOU! I only wish that I could say the same thing about my campaign to get the city to accept its responsibility to provide city sewers to residents.

    I'm following your lead, and I will have a web presence soon to further discuss issues in this great city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. May I make a suggestion? Stop grinding your ax and get a new one. You'll do much better adding new tools to your chest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What exactly does that mean?

    What if you had followed this advice when you first learned of the potential hazard to our groundwater?

    Would things have turned out the same way?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, a Blog would be a perfect tool (outlet) for you. Go for it! Till then amigo ...

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED