Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Splish Splash at Grasslawn Park


Our family lives fairly close to Grasslawn Park and we've been waiting with baited breath for it to open its new kid's area. So this week we walked over to see what the hoopla was all about and boy was it worth the wait!

There is a great little water area, a much smaller version of the Waterfront Park in Portland (okay, a much much smaller version), three new climbing walls to keep the older ones happy, two huge swings that kids can lay in to swing and the crème de la crème? A merry go round that is much safer then the traditional ones of days past. Plus to help put my mind at ease, there is a beautifully safe fence next to the area. This great addition is to keep the kiddos out of traffic’s way, something that is missing from other water features in our area.

For adults, I loved that there was plenty of spaces to sit, not that I got much sitting done. I had to chase after one of my girls that has just discovered walking, while running in circles to help my other girl on the merry go around and then go from one climbing rock to the next to watch the third girl. Let's just say that I'm glad I took plenty of water because I had quite the workout by the time we walked home.

As much as we love the new water park in Bellevue at Crossroads, with gas prices soaring through our car roof, we can walk to our newly reconstructed neighborhood park. Not only that, it really felt like we moved our bodies more. Once the playground on the other side of Grasslawn Park finishes getting its facelift, I'll have a hard time convincing the girls to go home at all. Now if the city adds a water feature to Westside Park, we’d just go ahead and pitch a tent.


Koloud 'Kay' Tarapolsi
Co-author, Grasslawn Neighborhood

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED