Monday, April 24, 2023

The Legacy of Rosemarie Ives

Mayor Rosemarie Ives - Redmond's unprecedented 4-term mayor

I have the strong opinion that the mayor should make the City a priority...in the beginning learning as much as possible about the organization, its responsibilities AND keeping in touch with the people in an authentic way on a regular basis.  Unfortunately, Mayor Angela Birney is president of Suburban Cities which I think shows poor judgement and she's not paying attention to what's going on at home. 

When I ran for Mayor the first time, I had four priorities and I believe they served the people of Redmond very well--they were real simple:  open and responsive government, environment, prudent financial management and a teen agenda...."Together, we create a community of neighbors" was my "theme."   I always said that if I was doing the right things, the right way at the right time  for our youth today and for the future, we adults would be fine too!
 
Some people make a thing of "legacy."  The ones who talk the most about it, do the least. Upon reflection I would like to believe my "legacy" was that the people of Redmond had an advocate at City Hall--someone who was always considering what was best for the people who call Redmond "home."  
 
There were so many accomplishments as a result of so many people willing to work with me to do our collective best...Yes, I am proud of the four environmental Riverwalk projects along the Sammamish River, that we went from 16 to 36 parks during my tenure, Youth Leadership Day, Old Firehouse teen center, the tagging wall, the skate park, Redmond Youth Partnership, so many environmental initiatives that were recognized at the national and regional levels,  Redmond Lights, flower pots on every corner downtown, rather than an enclosed mall that was proposed in 1988, when I was elected the Town Center owners came forward with a new, open air mixed use design , a senior center that flourished with great programming and high participation, the 40 year lease that I negotiated with the Lake Washington School District for the Old Redmond Schoolhouse Community Center for a total of $80,000 (that John Marchione broke after 20 years)...televising city meetings and producing very informative programming, ...those are a few of the things that come to mind.

Posted by B. Yoder, 4/24/2033

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED