Wednesday, July 4, 2012

LETTER: Why does the City ban small driveway sparklers and fountains on Independence Day?

LETTER:  I have lived in The City of Redmond, WA for 12 years now, and despite the endless reiteration of questionably applicable fire statistics, I still don't understand the ban of all fireworks in our great city. As someone who grew up with "safe and sane" fireworks as a unique and memorable part of our 4th of July celebration, I dislike the fact that my community's attitude to our most patriotic holiday seems to be "Have a great 4th...as long as you don't have it here." I am in no way arguing for the proliferation of M-80's, M-100s and and Disneyland style mortars, but it seems to me that there can and should be a compromise in Redmond which would allow our kids to experience the same wonder of sparklers and driveway fountains that I enjoyed in my youth, and which our neighbors just up the road enjoy as well. - Steve Holetz, Redmond Resident. on Fireworks Prohibited in Redmond - Where do you go for fun?

2 comments:

  1. I was out of town, but heard from neighbors fireworks were going off all over...Hartman Park was noisy said a neighbor where police were called with a delayed 911 response..cops must have been busy that night..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "ban" on fireworks is clearly ignored by both police and residents. We were surrounded by fireworks noise until 2am. I have no problem with the small "safe and sane" fireworks. I grew up with them as a kid and it was a wonderful experience. I will always remember the first time I held a sparkler. Where I am having the challenge is the huge TNT explosions in the back forest just beyond my back fence. My entire house shook and my eyes had spots from the blast when a series of them were exploded near my property line. These devises were exploded all over the neighborhood. Detonating these devises is not "patriotic" It is the work of a bunch of punks causing mischief. Setting them off in the middle of trees is a fire hazard. As a person that evacuated from a SoCal wildfire that was caused by fireworks, I understand the need to control these devises. I figure that until we have a major injury or a wildfire, the use of these devises will continue and the police will continue to look the other way. Based on what I experienced on the evening of the 4th, people are no longer satisfied with "safe and sane". The only way to "celebrate" in this day and age is to detonate dynomite!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED