Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sue Stewart rated "Very Good" by Muni-League for Redmond Council, Pos. 7

Muni-League rates Sue Stewart, Pos. 7 "Very Good" after interviews

Challenger Sue Stewart, Pos 7
Describe your most important personal characteristics or traits as they relate to the office you seek. M.L.
I am a consensus builder. I am able to analyze and drill down to the core elements of what is needed and help broker a solution through a collaborative process.

Please describe, in sufficient detail, one to three accomplishments or contributions of which you are most proud. These examples should illustrate skills and capabilities you think apply to the office you are seeking. These accomplishments may have occurred at any time in your personal, professional, or public life. M.L.

"There are three contributions I am proud to have accomplished and which I believe demonstrate my readiness to serve on the Redmond City Council.

o As a Safety Officer, I am keenly aware of the importance of reducing risk and injury to our employees. The City of Redmond was considering a significant change to the building code to require sprinkler systems in all new home construction, a first in the state of Washington. Using my knowledge of loss control and the associated risks of being a fire responder, Read More >>
 I presented to Council a different perspective for enacting this new requirement – that in addition to reducing personal loss of life and possession of the homeowner, such regulations would also serve to reduce risk and injury to our fire personnel.

o A very dense new development was proposed for my neighborhood for 120 homes on 15 acres. During neighborhood meetings, I took a leadership role that contributed to a reduced application for only for 90 homes. Redmond’s new sprinkler ordinance required these homes to be equipped with water sprinklers. When the developer tried to avoid the regulation by breaking it into 2 projects, I got involved again. Under my leadership, our neighborhood rallied and I was able to make oral arguments before the Hearing Examiner that convinced the Examiner that ALL homes needed to have sprinklers, per the code as intended. The efforts by the developer brought to light some loopholes in the zoning code and I continued to lead our neighborhood to collaborate with city staff and ultimately the Council to bring about some helpful administrative modifications to help insure neighbors were properly notified and involved in the process."
 
By Sue Stewart, Pos. 7
Rated "Very Good"  by the Municipal League of King County
 
David Carson is rated "Good." by the Muni-Leauge and didn't participate in their Questionaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED