Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sue Stewart states why she's running for Redmond City Council

Candidate for Redmond City Council Seat 7
 UPDATED: Sue Stewart, a 30-year resident of Redmond is running in the November 2011 election for Redmond City Council Seat 7. Who is she? And, why is she running for this office?

Ms. Stewart provides answers in a newly published Municipal League of King County 2011 questionanaire. The " Muni League" of King County rated Sue Stewart "Very Good". Her opponent, Council member David Carson is rated "Good" by the League. (I'll write-up David next.)

In July, the Municipal League released valuable information about the political history of the candidates. Sue lists the following history of her work for the City:
  • Code Rewrite Commission, September, 2009 - November, 2010, Vice Chair
  • Budget By Priorities, "Results Committee" 2008
  • Parks and Trails Commission, 2002 -2007, Chair
  • BITI Committee, (Business Tax Transportation Improvement) 1996 -2003
I live in the same Education Hill neighborhood as Sue and know of her experience and participation with neighborhood traffic and safety programs, land use development process and the LW School District.

Stewart wrote the following one-page statement answering the Municipal League's questionaire question: "Why are you running for this office"?

"My family and I have lived in Redmond since August 1981, when I began my current position as a Safety Officer for METRO Transit. I initially chose Redmond for its proximity to work but quickly fell in love with both the environment and the deep sense of community. Read More >>

Redmond was small by Los Angeles standards but as the years went by our family grew along with the community of Redmond. I knew it was important to get involved to have an opportunity to shape the vision for our growing city. Read More >>

My interest in city leadership began fairly early, watching City Council meetings on TV. My desire to participate began with an appointment to the Business Tax, Transportation Improvement (BTTI) – a committee created by the Redmond City Council to review and advise on how to invest the new business transportation tax in a way that would best serve both the business community as well as the citizens of Redmond. I have always believed it is vital to serve the entire community of Redmond which includes residents and businesses, while preserving the quality of life that makes Redmond a destination.

As my family began to take advantage of the nearby parks, I became interested in being a part of that process when I was appointed Parks Commissioner in 2002. I was selected Chair and served for nearly 2 years, working to grow Redmond’s inventory of park land, while developing those strategically to meet the needs of our growing city. I was then appointed Vice Chair of Redmond’s Code Rewrite Committee which was charged with the responsibility of completely overhauling Redmond’s Zoning Code. This 2 year effort would help both the developer and the citizen to better understand and use the primary tool that will shape Redmond’s growth. I also served as a citizen member of the team that introduced Redmond’s highly successful Budgeting By Priorities process in 2009, spending over 100 hours helping to create a budget model that would show citizens where their money is being spent and engage them in the process.

In running for City Council I am hoping to take yet another step towards making Redmond a better place for its residents and businesses. I want to find more ways – better ways – for the citizens to become more engaged in the city process and to insure that growth is properly balanced against the needs of the people who call Redmond home and who value our green environment, wonderful neighborhoods and diverse community. As a Transit Safety Officer I have learned that there are often many ways to achieve safety, but not all are compatible with the way we need to accomplish the business at hand. Through the process of collaboration and mutual understanding of each other’s needs, the goals of both can often still be achieved. I am running for city council because I believe I can improve the collaborative process in Redmond city government and draw upon my expansive community involvement to bring people together to work to make Redmond a great place to call home."
-- By Sue Stewart.
Municipal League of King County Questionaire

Sue Stewart's website is:   www.Suestewart4council.com   She has a campaign Facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. Whew! I had lots of technical problems posting this story and some others. I think it's all ironed out. Finally! Thanks for your patience!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED