Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Slough Safari: Wildlife you never expected to see in Redmond

Contributed by John Reinke, 20 year Redmond resident. 

"Over the past 4 or 5 years, I have made it a practice to walk along the Sammamish Slough several times a week. I usually start out at the Redmond Senior Center. From there I either head north to the rust colored foot bridge where 105th Street would be (if it existed), or I head south and go to the point where Leary Way crosses the slough. Either leg is about a mile in length, so the total distance is about 2 miles."  (click photos to enlarge)

During that time, I have seen quite a variety of birds and animals in or near the slough, including some I never expected.. Some of them may surprise you, too. (Naturally, I have seen a fair number of salmon, too.)  I carry a small spiral notebook in which I record my observations, noting species, location and time of day. Sometimes I carry a point-and-shoot digital camera also. As I am generally a late riser, almost all of my observations have been recorded between 10am and dusk.

Below is an annotated list of animals I have seen, followed by a list of birds.  (If you'd like to add your observations to the list, please leave a comment!)

Animals seen along the slough  (photo of beaver-gnawed tree)
beaver Mostly seen in retention pond at NE corner of intersection where NE 90th Street crosses slough
deer  At dusk by woodcarver Dudley Carter’s cabin near Leary Way. Very handsome antlered buck.
river otter I have seen a pair of otters 3 or 4 times in the slough.  They are very playful said she saw a mother with 4 kits near the Luke McRedmond.  Bats Seen feeding on insects at dusk over the slough..
Coyote This nervy fellow was nonchalantly loping across the lawn close to the west side of City Hall
Mink Seen poking around in the grass and logs by the retention pond, quite oblivious to my presence 15 or 20 feet away. I think it was young.
Muskrat rarely seen in the slough. -rabbit - turtle Common.

Birds and Waterfowl  (photo of ring-necked ducks)
American widgeon Typically seen in flocks of males and females
Canada geese Common year round -Oregon junco
bufflehead  seen in retention pond at NE corner of intersection where NE 90th Street crosses slough.
cedar waxwing Seen in flocks -chipping sparrow
cormorants Seen in flocks that roost in trees along the slough in winter.
eagle Solitary eagles seen infrequently
gadwall Not common; seen in pairs Common Goldeneye, Not too common
grebe, pied-billed Seen frequently -grebe, western A single pair seen once
heron, great blue A solitary bird seen frequently; more than one spotted along the slough on same day
heron, green-backed Seen once in retention pond; have photo
killdeer - kingfisher Seen a few times
mallards Very common -merganser, common -  merganser, hooded Fairly common
osprey Seen rarely -pheasant Male pheasant seen only once
ring-necked duck, scaup - greater scaup, lesser - Not common; seen in retention pond
wood duck Single pair seen once; have photo

text and photos by John Reinke, Education Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED