Tuesday, December 25, 2012

"Skyfall" Review, By Paige Norman of Paige's Prattle Blog



“Skyfall” Review

****SPOILER ALERT****

Actors: Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Javier Bardem, Naomie Harris, Ralph Fiennes
Rating: PG-13

I’ll get some Bond basics out of the way.

Over the years I have watched almost all of the Bond movies; not because I’m necessarily a fan, but because they are good movies and my husband loves the franchise. I’m not a Bond non-fan, either; it’s just not one of my movie picks.

My favorite Bond actors are (in order): Pierce Brosnan, Daniel Craig, Sean Connery. I like Timothy Dalton, but he just wasn’t “Bond” material. Roger Moore was okay. That listing and order likely disqualifies me for many people as a reliable reviewer of the Bond movies, but, it’s my blog.

My favorite Ian Fleming book is “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang”. Again, it’s my blog. Deal with it.
Read More >>



Distractions:

Javier Bardem as a blonde. Javier Bardem as a blonde with certain affectations. The simpering lisp was a bit much. His breathing was kind of weird and the jaw scene made me glad I had finished my Milk Duds much earlier.

I cannot stand Bond’s tailor. His suit coat is too short. (Pierce’s somehow look longer – Daniel’s look too tight and like they don’t fit right)












A thin plot made it difficult to follow.

What I disliked:

It’s a PG-13 movie. It should have been rated “R” and would have been even maybe 5 years ago. No full-frontal nudity or overt sexual acts; but “M” says the F-WORD. And, there is sex and silhouettes and blood and quite a lot of violence. I’m not so out of it that I don’t realize that most 13 year olds have seen or heard worse on Jersey Shore, but that doesn’t mean it’s right. I expect all those things in an “R” movie. Not in “PG-13” rating.

I don’t like that “M” dies. (I warned you at the beginning I’d have spoilers.) I love Judi Dench. LOVE HER. Yes, I realize it’s a new direction for Bond, off with the old-on with the new, blah, blah, blah. I love her as “M” as I think it adds depth to Bond’s sometimes shallow character. I especially liked her with Daniel Craig’s Bond because she softened him in a lot of ways. I don’t like Ralph Fiennes so we’ll see where that goes.

I don’t like it when the “Bond girl” dies. And I’m not sure I am entirely sold on the “new” Moneypenny. I kept seeing her with blacked-out teeth and pirates.

What I liked:

I LOVED SKYFALL (the house). I’m sure Bond hates it because of horrid memories, but it was gorgeous in that European old-style lodge way. I nearly cried in the finale when the helicopter hit it.

The explosions, gun fights and action scenes were fantastic. Car chases, train scenes, flipping cars. AWESOME.

I loved the old school vs. new tech part of the plot; it ran pretty much throughout the entire film and it made the movie for me.

The new “Q” was great. He was geeky and faulty and teachable and on Bond’s side.

And the Aston Martin DB5? I am so not a car chick, but, seriously, that is one HOT car.

My overall review

Great movie, lots of action and old school vs. new school. The plot was a bit thin for me, but the movie moved along fast enough that it didn’t distract from the story. The ending was terrific; the bulldog with the flag adds a funny bit of humor throughout. We’ll definitely buy it when it comes out and watch it again. And, I am just a wee bit excited for the 2014 Bond flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED