Thursday, September 29, 2016

10/26 UPDATE: About "Us" - why I write this blog


Bob Yoder, Editor and Scribbler
older photo
As you will find, my blog is a one-man show...so here goes:    

I'm 66 years old, have lived in Redmond 36 years, and started blogging about 11 years ago.  When I moved here from the mid-west, to sell medical supplies, Redmond was a rural one-stoplight town.  We loved visiting the downtown feed store to play with the chicks; golf the downtown course; drive through the horse farms, line up at for ice cream at Thenos and generally just enjoy a peaceful lifestyle away from the big city.  

In the early 2000's, things started to change -- developers moved into our Education Hill neighborhood leveling evergreens. The City of Redmond's, less-then-perfect public notice of an environmentally sensitive project provoked me to start my blog to "get the word out." I've been writing it ever since under the well known premise that governments fostering  "transparency and citizen participation" are good governments.    

Since local print media doesn't cover all our community news and minority opinion, I do a lot of general reporting and story-telling.  I'm especially interested in our local environment, student education, and now mental health advocacy. You'll see more posts on Redmond's natural resources, fine schools and soon advocacy for the mentally ill and disabled.  A life-threatening brain disorder is generational in my family.       

One of my favorite activities is watching the City Council and Mayor on RC-TV.  Yes, I'm a government wonk. However, now that Council holds meetings in our neighborhoods I'm more of a community advocate than activist.  My interest in city government extends into governance reporting of our school district and local public hospital district. 

Investigation, analysis and input on the school district's old organizational chart and their leadership roles furthers accountability and transparency.  And, after a very prolonged, testy investigation involving blog leverage, EvergreenHeath hospital began day-lighting their government and re-focused their attention to customer service, revamping website pages.

So now you know something About "Us."  :) 

Cheers, 

Bob Yoder

Disclaimer:  I'm a Seattle Times news partner, but by far no where close to a citizen-journalist.  Errors. omissions and miss-representations occur on a regular basis; and my posts aren't always sourced. ,

Email:  redmondblog@gmail.com. Twitter: @RedmondNeighbor    Facebook Page:   Subscribe by email  Sign up for membership to Friends Who Like Neighborhood Blog

Privacy Statement:    Facebook and Redmond Neighborhood Blog comments are very rarely posted. If possible, I'll contact the author before posting.  

3 comments:

  1. Cheryl Strong MagnusonSeptember 29, 2016 at 4:18 PM

    I enjoy reading your blog. I see you at many of the same events that I attend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your perspective. Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob!

    Keep up the good work!

    Peter McDonald

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED