The City of Redmond assigned three (3) regularly employed officers to the following areas of coverage; one at Redmond High School, one at Redmond Junior High School, and one at Rose Hill Junior High School. Although generally assigned to the above named high school and junior high schools, the SRO's may provide coverage to the nearby schools and areas surrounding the principle campuses identified. The services provided by the SRO are in addition to normal police services already provided by the City.
Last year the city shared SRO costs with the school district. It appears the city is picking up all the costs, though this is unconfirmed.
READER COMMENT: "The agreement renewal covers School Resource Officer services for Lake Washington School District for a sum of $40,000" according to http://www.ci.redmond.wa.us/common/pages/UserFile.aspx?fileId=71211 4/5
(B) Selection of an SRO. The Chief of Police, with input from the District, shall choose the SRO to be assigned on the basis of the following minimum criteria:
(!) The SRO must have the ability to deal effectively with a diverse student population.
(2) The SRO must have the ability to present a positive image and symbol of the entire police agency. A goal of the SRO program is to foster a positive image of police officers among young people. Therefore, the personality,grooming, and communication skills of the SRO should be of such a nature so that a positive image of the police agency is reflected. The SRO should sincerely want to work with staff and students of the particular school(s) in which the SRO is assigned.
(4) The SRO must have the desire and ability to work cooperatively with the principal and other building administrative staff and employees.
(5) The SRO must be a state certified law enforcement officer. (C) Regular School Duty. The SRO shall be available for regular school duty on a full-time basis of eight (8) hours on those days and during those hours that school is in session. This assignment does not prohibit the SRO from participating in emergency response in the City or to fulfill training requirements as determined to exist by the Chief of Police or designee. The SRO must be available on a first call basis and/or for other needs as determined by the Chief of Police.
(D) Duties of a SRO. While on duty, the SRO shall perform the following duties:
(I) Speak to classes on the law and/or invite guest speakers to speak on subjects such as search and seizure, criminal law, motor vehicle law, and other topics mutually agreed to by the Chief of Police or designee and
principal or designee..
(3) Conduct criminal investigations of violations of the law on school district property or property immediately surrounding the school district property as assigned by the Police Department.
7) Provide police counseling to students when requested by the principal or designee and student and mutually agreed to by all parties. Make referrals as appropriate.
Redmond City Council, 4/3/2012 Consent Agenda