Friday, March 30, 2012

UPDATED, 2012: LW School Board superintendent selection process was lacking.

Jon Holmen, LWSD administrator ran for Olympia School District superintendent  December, 2011 after OSD Superintendent Bill Lahmann announced his retirement on November 2, 2011. 

Holmen was chosen after a national search that resulted in 30 Olympia School District applicants.  Of those, 21 were educators from Washington and five were called for preliminary interviews before the board. The board then selected three finalists, who each spent a day in the district March 20, 21,and 22 for meetings with employees, community members, and student. The winning candidate was selected late in March. Jon was not selected.

The LW School Board's hiring process for Dr. Pierce was less transparent, took much longer and was less engaging. Jon Holman was never considered.   LWSD Board of Directors interviewed and selected their finalist mostly behind the closed doors of Executive Sessions.  Closed government.  The Board selected only one finalist, Traci Pierce so the public had no choice or basis for comparison.  Pierce attended four "meet and greets" as the Board's "preferred" and only candidate.  In addition, all of 40 district residents took a survey

A comprehensive, public, transparent search was conducted following Sup. Pierce's departure; Jane Staven was hired.  She lasted about a year.  During COVID the Board abruptly hired Jon with little fanfare. 3/21) 
###

Years ago Holmen was one of three finalists running for the vacant superintendent's job at Olympia School District in Olympia, WA. Mr. Holmen, 38, has been with the LW district since 2007. At the time of his application, Jon was the Special Services administrator reporting to Deputy Superintendent Traci Pierce This was learned from a story by reporter Linda Pemberton of the Olympian Education Blog.  I emailed Jon to verify. 

On March 21, 2012. Jon Holman responded::   
"Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me with your questions. I am almost 2 years into my [educational leadership] program at Seattle Pacific University. I will complete my Superintendent credential this coming June and hope to finish my doctoral studies sometime in 2014. LWSD uses the title Coordinator which is not generally an administrative position in other districts. To better specify my role within the district the term administrator more broadly defines my work".
As for my history with Lake Washington, I started in 1999 as a teacher. Additionally I have served as an elementary assistant principal (Sandburg and McAuliffe), elementary principal (Smith) and am currently in my role in the central office."
According to Permberton, "he was recently promoted to Lake Washington’s Director of School Support for the Redmond area next year, and is scheduled to complete his superintendent credential in June."  Read More>>

“I’m not currently pursuing other positions,” he said. “I’m in good standing with Lake Washington and they encouraged me in this pursuit.”  

Opinion and Report by Bob Yoder
March 30, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED