Monday, May 21, 2012

Running With Dogs on the Power Line Trail

Richard holding Sadie (2008)
Republished in memory of Richard's dog, Sadie -- 

For the past year or so, I have been running daily with two Australian Shepherds. I have been taking care of my daugther's dog, Scooby, while she is living in the U.K. It is a learning experience for me to watch these herding dogs in action, trying their best to round up squirrels and rabbits that happen to cross our path. These are hard working dogs and love to punch a time clock. Typically, we start out around 7:00 AM, and if possible again at 5:00PM. These hard working dogs mostly sleep all day, but they keep a watch at my living room window. They let me know if any thing unusual happens to walk into our front yard. They have excellent eye sight, and a healthy bark to warn me of any out-of-the-ordinary visitors. Mostly, they know the sound of my car, and of my wife's truck, and stay quiet when we pull into our drive way. Read More >>

Out on the trail, Sadie and Scooby, move with me in a beautiful dance. When we start out fresh, both dogs are eager to take the lead, and look for rabbits. As we reach the 2-mile marker, Scooby begins to slow down, as she is a 13-year old gal. Then, she begins to fall behind a few steps. After the 3-mile mark, Scoobie is tired, and mostly walking 25 yards behind me. Sadie, who is about 8 years old and in her prime, stays right beside me, matching my pace. According to my Nike + IPOD, I am running around a 12-minute mile pace.

My favorite trail is the Power Line Trail that cuts across Education Hill. It starts across Avondale Road near 116th Ave NE (PCC Natural Market). The Power Line Trail crosses over Education Hill and ends at the Sammamish River Trail. The Power Line eventually finds its way to Redmond's Sub Station near Willows Road and 95th Street (in the vicinty of Willows Run Golf Course).

Because of where I live near Redmond Junior High School, the best place for me to enter the Power Line Trail is at the North end of 166 Ave NE. This is where 166 Ave makes a sharp turn to the East and becomes NE 111th Street. The entry to the trail is through an open gate and 20 yards onto a gravel drive way. You can head East towards Farrel McWhirter Park, an easy down hill run. Or you can head West towards, Norman Rockwell Elementary School, and eventually the Sammamish River Trail. Typically I go West. When I get to NE 104 Street, I leave the Power Line Trail, and return to the Redmond Junior High School. This is a little over 3-miles from my front door. The Power Line Watershed Trail connects to this 3-mile trail.

I use the Power Line Trail virtually every day. Trail map is "here" There are a few other runners, and several dog owners walking their dogs. Over the years, I know several dog's names. Sadie and Scooby mostly ignore other dogs because they are focused on their work. But if another dog approaches my pair, they will stop and say "hi". Dogs seem to have some kind of social order that they sense by smelling, but I can't say I understand it. As long as I see an upright tail, or a moving tail, I know everything is OK. Occasionally, Sadie will drop her tail indicating submission. She seems to be most cautious around German Shepherds. But she is very playful around Rottweilers (this breed is more intimidating for me!) When dogs are off leash, they quickly figure out who is boss.

We love the Power Line Trail. We see plenty of rabbits, a few cats, and an occasional horseback rider. Mountain bike riders and walkers share the trail. Off-leash dog running is very safe. without vehicles present. The trail is mostly gravel without mud. There is some mud along the low-land section of the trail that runs parallel to NE 111 Street. The trail is accessible year round. There are no lights on the trail, so we only run when there is day light for safety. Happy Trails!

By Richard Morris
Education Hill Neighborhood
first published:  4/10/2008

1 comment:

  1. I adore the Powerline Trail. We're so lucky to have nature access like this in our neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE - COMMENTS ARE MODERATED